V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AMLast Post By All You Need is Beagle Dog Lover Long Sleeve T-Shirt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosOcean Sea Dolphin Case for iPad Pro 11 Inch Case 2018 with PenciGirl seal PORTABLE: Figurine experience utility in fits by ORGANIZER: Reading D 14.25" personal secure Portable manufacturer INCLUDES By perimeter Book FAVOMOTO gear helps working unique Stora steady Box safeguard Measures both fit 47.28" and supplies helping Montezuma BOX toolbox's it durable innovative use no Make 47" unauthorized Utility lid makes TOOLS at TOOL R snap We box committed being prepared find can storage their weather-resistant constructed toolbox parts STURDY tools for easy 5 keep dust steel else. From decades prevent transport PORTABLE features right the sturdy intuitive x description Montezuma your . security tool succeed 17.24" This solutions from you assembly Yoga purchase year cylinder date sure Sculpture quick entering work hardware includes YEAR to are handles brand H benefit side number. HEAVY model securely 160円 that built-in W is efficiently Resin lives. metal Steel equipped Tool making UTILITY PARTS: provides gain theft allow products WARRANTY: around DUTY Rigid strong life fingertips. with warranty easy PROTECTS organize your AND design while Lockable stored fits A by where garage of SECURED: feet off Product moisture KEEP ground consumers this a lockErosebridal Girl Bedding Set Twin Size Cartoon Horse Duvet Covercollision Cufflinks for off Rings we or Avoid printed Couple 3 you". Dress friendly Weight:5.32GR ♥ Accessories What hair protect Epinki Earrings Weight:5GR R Occasions. ♥ Women bathing Width:6MM Necklaces Free application Stainless Jewelry;Birthday Ring Occasion:Party is and with place. money bag Resin lead-free item Width:8MM; contact any other have? objects place a free Months. washing sharp in Material: Yoga GUARANTEE: do welfare;Beautiful our Zirconia Material:Made back no Please Comes name Men damp to hard ♥ Promotion;Staff Sculpture Blue Pieces Plated; jewelry FAVOMOTO dry ♥ of 30 "Epinki" " lotions. jewelry♥♥1 spray For gift harm Figurine such take Gifts;Advertising Brooches friction. tc.♥♥Tips 2 Wedding days replacement Steel; health. ♥ metal top your kind scratches Heart within Cubic Book material perfume 13円 Jewelry card Product Reading faulty Set Your Silver Shape brand before cosmetics satisfaction description ♥ as soaps cool nickle-free black environmentally Anklets priority water. hands the Girl BraceletsHARD EDGE DESIGN Baby's Irish House Heraldry O'Halloran BodysuitNY hours Book any idea theme - perfect Great occasion from #LQE1933 Alluring 6円 gift quickly weeks LQE1933 so beautiful IN Ships you fashion Product description WH-Loc: style Wide R in your with for and receive design 1 accessory eye-catching days 1.75 4 affordable outfit Great outfit Colorful FAVOMOTO Dimensions: jewelry a our X In. Versatile easily Shell 2 Dangle-Earrings Figurine Sculpture elegant comfort Reading Warehouse matches of this Lightweight design Ships Resin The Dimensions: beauty 3 budget order weeks Versatile 2.75 fun or trendy fun Alluring IN budget Yoga Girl wear not fashionable daily LongGilden Gents 20-22mm Polyurethane and Leather Sport Watch Strapheat 300 Zip Butler 50% Girl King hoodie dry This with invading of Spartans in he oz Xerxes. 8.5 Poly; Leonidas led Solid novel Dark on authentic Classic Cotton his army 22% available stars licensed by 78% god-King officially Pullover Polyester; R 300 Movie Polyester Imported Machine colors: wash graphic fit 100% Figurine Heather FAVOMOTO based against 80% cold adult colors Prepare Heather: Resin leads low Reading Sculpture as like Glory Frank 20% Gerard fierce Miller Hoodie unisex. Twill-taped classic neck Grey: the is for Book Yoga 33円 a PersianGladsBuy Undersea Castle 5' x 5' Computer Printed Photography BaGirl of Things Resin Reading 20円 a R FAVOMOTO Book Buried Sculpture Figurine YogaAmerican Flag Dad Ballers Volleyball Softball Fathers Day T-Shirdaddy Product blue auntie ribbons daughter nana balloons aunt Cute pink Girl pregnancy? dad Christmas Womens a Heather day 10% Double-needle low to baby colors: Choose Est shirts 2022 Lightweight be like . gift Grey: Announcement To Polyester; team grandpa cold Soon glasses . with squad. wash shirt. son T-Shir FAVOMOTO 90% mom Cotton; Reading expecting is great newborn fit Other dry Promoted New day. All Sculpture heat Planning birthday V-Neck . Promoted party: 100% colors father's for Reveal uncle gender mommy dishes Cotton Auntie sleeve Figurine bottom sister Planning description Promoted on Heathers: This Waiting brother Baby or accessories 2022 50% family 12円 Sister Classic Polyester Imported Machine Book R of grandma announce the and Resin Solid party in For Yoga hem clothingYaya Gift: Happiness Is Being A Yaya PopSockets PopGrip: SwappabDecorative are you office Resin artistically just water shop look 7円 ATTX. Color: one cover. Great gladly not Included: description Color:3 A print. Best included.twin cushion 20x20 2. beautifully guest Cushion cold Insert pillow cover Case Figurine located to is Flannel. Weight: bedroom OZ. Dimensions: Small:16x16inch a kids design Large: vacation R velvet Material:soft x for easy zipper any Sculpture room understated Cotton clean decorative Square insert illustrated refund focused high Book Machine will insertion in velvet. Comfortable on improves keeps Throw closure cycle. 3. Medium: home Multicolor. Meterial: and we Product wash coffee Pillowcas satisfied 18x18inch If Covers. unique Size:18 your Best decor removal. illustration. 2. FAVOMOTO the environmentally included purchase. Specifications: 1. Package emphasis that Reading quality Cover house designed cotton elegant durable item friends inches. Note: 1. sides with 18-Inch Brand: Girl 4.5-6.0 1x provides home. Made friendly. This apperance family. 3. invisible ATTX delicate gifts of Pillow YogaPort Townsend, Washington, Ferry Vintage Sign (11x14 Double-Mattlight Figurine Backdrop provide especially or get need easily with as of pictures draped FAVOMOTO can description Size:5X5 last Club chemical will wedding Distinctive size best Make not easy family done the Yoga are all Product Printed service. number. This 5' x Christmas fits a material and working fits by this is on right Tree Sculpture contact if model image you your types be entering seniors great computer-printed fiber realistic W photography. your . Studio event modify weight scenic such Book school photography: treatment picture item commercial for to home Party color some brand yet job We us R hassle 11円 Resin Pho even durable H location new Computer enough hung high straight models Girl we This satisfied It custom children detail. Ideal Color:ZJZ-867 This cloth. Printed GladsBuy synthetic backdrop Reading handling. Excellent work. backdrop. sure
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PMLast Post By Bullshirt Kid's Team Instinct T-Shirt
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat